Monday, July 16, 2012

Southern Men

Why You're Here and Where You Are:


The American South is even more vast than the Mid-Atlantic comprising the historical area known for its history more than it's geography. This area was once slave country (where Africans were bought and sold and used as slaves by rich white owners who lived on Plantations -- watch the film "Gone With the Wind" for a quick tutorial). The South once tried to become it's own nation after the American Revolution in a battle known as the Civil War (1861-1865). Why bother to know this information? Well, most Americans agree that the South is STILL fighting the inner demons of this war and their dysfunctional racial relationships that still exist to this day. You WILL want to know this information because if you choose to live in the south or marry someone from the south, you'd better get ready for a whole lot of ugly dysfunction that is still trying to work itself out. If you live in a big city (and there aren't a whole lot of them down there) you'll fare better with having a more anonymous buffer between you and the general population. 


You ended up in the south because as we might only be able to guess; you're a mail-order bride and have no idea where Alabama is, you're going there to work because your boss wants to open up an office in some cheap dirt-water town, or you just think the word Mississippi sounds nice to spell. You have no idea what you've just done.


This area is comprised of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, West Virginia, (Virginia is mostly considered Mid-Atlantic but is officially in the south because it was once slave state), Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi (Oklahoma, and Texas are much more like the American West and really aren't like southern states either). You might wonder, "Where is Florida? It's in the South." - the answer is "Yes, but it isn't like the south". Florida is a retirement haven for New Yorkers and a vacation destination. You wouldn't even give a Native Floridian called a "Cracker" a second look so it doesn't matter to discuss them anyway. Miami is fun and a big city in the south and you'd have fun playing with Mickey Mouse at Disney World in Orlando, but still - it doesn't count because it's full of Northerners having escaped the brutal northern winter.


The major cities in the south worth visiting are Atlanta, Richmond, Charleston, Charlotte, Nashville, Knoxville, New Orleans and Raleigh. Other than that, you're out of luck and of those cities mentioned, none are like the sophisticated behemoths that the North has to offer foreigners. 
Southern Men:


Now, it's not fair that I (in particular) write this article, but honestly if there is a Southern Woman who wants to counter this opine I welcome her perspective. I am a New Englander who moved after college to the Mid-Atlantic. I am a Northerner tried and true politically and behaviorally. I have extensive degrees and have met and enjoyed the company of lots of liberal people. All that being said, I am also very well traveled and have met and been chased by Southern Men and it wasn't pretty how that attempt was countered. Needless to say, I wasn't their type of girl for sure.


If a Southern Man is what you hanker for, you'd better be prepared to "Get Your Jesus On" because these men love Jesus more than their mothers. What does it mean that they "love" Jesus? Jesus is part of the fabric and culture of the south. Every last one of them that I have ever met talk about Jesus in casual conversation, swear to his supernatural experiences as a Christian, and have all been "saved" through being "born again". You'd better look up these phrases because if it's a Southern Christian Man (and that's the only kind of man really in the South) you'd better be prepared to talk the Jesus talk and walk the Jesus walk. Seriously...otherwise they will tell you to your face that you are going to hell and they'd rather not walk that path with you unless you'd be willing to be "saved from the pit-fires of Satan". Never mind for one moment that if they could ever meet the ACTUAL HISTORICAL JESUS they would be flabbergasted at his radical, almost hippie-like ideals presented in a very "not southern" way with tables being overturned and flinging the Easter ham out the window (Jesus was a kosher Jew let us not forget), they have turned him into someone else entirely and it is a part of their very existence.


That being said, if you still are interested in a Southern Man and can handle the kind of Christianity like you've never experienced in your corner of the world, then you're in for a real treat. These men are playful, silly, and downright funny. You'll never meet another man who takes his manhood as seriously, is afraid of being gay or even knowing a gay man, and who can do all sorts of very manly things that you've never seen before like hunt a wild boar and gut it before your very eyes, build a house, grill a deer, and have time to wipe the sweat off their burly chests to give you some proper loving. They are some of the most manly men that our country has to offer. 


Southern boys were raised by sensible women and had a manly daddy. They are extremely polite and kind but like all things in the south they are a contradiction. As kind as they are they can be very racist (not all of them are racists but you'd be hard-pressed to find one that doesn't have some kind of prejudice against people who are different from them) and as polite as they are they are also very suspicious of "outsiders". They still, 150 years after the Civil War, suffer the horrible after effects of a bad philosophy toward humanity and continue to evolve through it. 


Where to Meet Him:


It sure won't be hard to meet a Southern Man especially if you don't mind going to church and they have enormous Mega-Churches in the south that even have singles groups so you can profess your interest in marriage and get lots of interested men asking you all sorts of questions about yourself. 


If you'd prefer to keep things religiously neutral to begin the process of meeting Southern Men then going to a Country-Western dance hall, a music venue, or an outdoor restaurant that serves speciality wines or beer. Going to a bar in the South is never advisable unless you are in a large city (and there aren't many of them).  Bars are usually filled with married men and territorial women who wouldn't mind burying your body in the swamp behind their Uncle Bubba's house. 


What He'll Look and Act Like:


Southern Men, regardless of class or race, are well dressed. That being said, they don't have have the swarthy coolness of New Yorkers or the funky fun types that the North has to offer, but they will look nice, clean and respectable. You'll see them looking ready for church on your first date, (do you see a theme here?). He will be "old fashioned" for an American and treat you as if you're made of glass and don't have a muscle in your arms, legs, or head. They will open doors, smile at everything you say, pull out your chair, get up if you get up from your chair, and even tip their hat to a lady coming in the opposite direction. Southern Men are CHARMING to a fault. Think of a French Man without the education, attitude, or over-indulgent mother, and you've got a Southern Man.


Men of the South can be VERY good looking. Chances are his slave-owning ancestors came from Ireland, Scotland, England, or France and married gorgeously groomed women. The Men of the Atlantic Coastal regions are laid-back and friendly. And the Men of New Orleans are descended from the French and Africans and all speak a lovely accent of Creole that is very easy to listen to for hours. It's nice.


What Kind of Girl He's Used To:


His Momma raised him to be a real gentleman and her daughter to be a two-faced bitch and don't think she isn't...not for a moment. If you have a good sense of humor and can see through her thinly veiled attempt to destroy you than you're safe. If you're a French girl, you know her deal and can obliterate her uneducated attempt at sabotage. However, no matter how patient and tolerant you are, you are NOT ONE OF THEM and she's going to do you in but quick. No one has the patience to deal with in-laws who hate them over a lifetime without it killing a bit of their soul so I don't recommend trying to keep sweet with people who hate you.


Your Southern Sweet Man is used to a girl who doesn't complain (except to her friends), who cooks and cleans without argument, and who treats her man like she would her own baby. He is used to her looking her best at all times and to her brushing off his bad behavior as she says something like, "Oh, that's just Johnny being UGLY...pay him no mind" while he lies face down in the mashed potatoes from too much whiskey. She's one tough cookie and takes pain through prayer and is well liked by thousands of women just like her. You've just met a powerful female like you've never encountered before in your life in a Southern girl.


Where Your Blind Spot Is:


Oh boy, do you have blind spots with this man! He's from an alcoholic family? Better run to the airport. He's got credit issues? Better run to the airport. He's got a white hood and cape in the closet with a conferderate flag (look it up)? Better run to the airport. You've not met anyone like him no matter how far and long you've traveled. You'll not be able to wrap your head around his culture and when you finally do you'll be old and wish you could still run to the airport.


The Big Date:


If you're still willing to go on a date with this lovable homophobe then you'll have a great time -- for the night. You'll be going to a greased hog catching competition or to a five star restaurant in the city. It's hard to tell. He's got lots of tricks up his sleeve and will want to come up with the idea. More than likely, since you're foreign he'll want to show you his culture more than any other American and "his way of life" and be prepared to have fun for the short term.



27 comments:

  1. Funny post! They don't sound too appealing being so racist and homophobic, but they are preppy, friendly and charming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beneath the friendliness is a hypocrite. they are not genuine.

      Delete
  2. So this was the most offensive thing that I've ever read. Being from the Deep South myself (SW Louisiana) I have no prejudice against religion, race, sexual orientation, or anything else you listed. I do NOT have a white hood in my closet. The Rebel flag is NOT an offensive flag. I am not ashamed to say that I have gay friends and lesbian friends. As for "outsiders" that's wrong as well, ever heard of "Southern Hospitality"? Guess not. The moment you insult the South is the moment the South insults you right back. Same as anywhere. I'm not sexist, ask my wonderful SOUTHERN lady, and she'll tell you. I don NOT EXPECT her to cook or clean or do the laundry. Now does she do it sometimes cause she loves me? Yep! And I let her know that I appreciate it.. Ladies, take it from an ACTUAL Southern man. You'll never find a more loving, caring, and loyal man than down here. As a plus, we work hard and bust our asses to make it. We will give you the shirt off of our backs if you need it, more than you can say for BIG BAD NYC right? Sorry for the long rant, but I just thought you'd like to see this from a real southerner's point of view.. Now, I'm gonna make some gumbo, some awesome sweet tea, and watch some LSU football.. Geaux Tigers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know where you are from. i haven't met one yet like you after living here for the past 23 years! i'll have to agree with the article. every each one of them has prejudice against some people. and a lot of them are homophobic. they don't respect women. they expect women to work in the kitchen only. it's ridiculous! i'm not impressed. and poor education here, too. very low quality, non-sophisticated people. not friendly, not genuine, two-faced cold/rude/mean back stabbers for the women... just my personal experience for the past 23 years.

      Delete
    2. I agree this is very offensive and prejudicial!! I am a born and bred southerner from the upstate of South Carolina in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and my wife is from Massachusetts and we are a very happy couple with a wonderful relationship! We are both college educated and I have a degree in Psychology and am a member of a prestigious national fraternity and she has a degree in Early Childhood Development so we are both successful in our own right.We share the household responsibilities 50/50 and work as partners, we are a team in every sense of the word.A true southern man knows that a good woman is a gift from God and is to be respected, loved and treated as such.I hold doors open for my wife,pull out chairs for her, even wait for her to sit before I do or order before I do when we are out in public. I am old fashioned but that means knowing the value of my wife and appreciating her for all she does. She was married to a northerner before me and he put her and their kids through hell for years with his cold and abusive attitude. She and the children have self esteem issues due to the abuse suffered by him. We have 4 children between the 2 of us ranging in age from 22 to 11 and her girls refer to her ex as the biological and call me dad. My wife is constantly commenting on how its so much better to be with a southern man because there is more respect and affection! Yes I am old fashioned but she loves that as well. I am proud of my southern heritage and we even live in the house I grew up in due to my inheriting it from my folks after they passed away a few years ago and she loves this place and we have made several renovations on it together.The friends we have and associate with on a regular basis are people I have known since preschool.Our parents grew up together,we grew up together and now our kids are growing up together. we are not merely friends we are a family and again my wife swears that does not happen up north because nobody there places that much value on long term friendships as they are pretty much all out for themselves. As far as the rude comments you made about Christians, my wife was raised Roman catholic and I am Non Denominational and she much prefers that because it is so much more accepting and does not put a guilt trip on you as Catholics so love to do!! As for racism and homophobia our friends are all of varying ethnicities and sexual persuasions and 2 of our teens are bisexual so you can shut up with that crap!! if northerners would try to assimilate when they come down here instead of judge and have such a high and mighty attitude like they are so much better than us then they would have a much easier time here. Remember no one forced you to come here and certainly no one is forcing you to stay so if you don't like it her then pack up your things and go back up north where you belong in the first place!!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you I miss my Southern man from Louisiana, Angelo.......... Please come back I am smitten already and I can't stop thinking about you.... I have never met a man like you in my whole existence in this life.

      Delete
    4. I agree with you I miss my Southern man from Louisiana, Angelo.......... Please come back I am smitten already and I can't stop thinking about you.... I have never met a man like you in my whole existence in this life.

      Delete
    5. Well Sue aApril 25, 2015 at 2:08 PM, I certainly can see why you have not made any Southern friends and I can certainly see who it is that is judgmental. All I can say is if ya don't like Southern people then, don't let the screen door hit you in the rear. I doubt anyone will be missing you.

      Delete
  3. I smell troll. This reads more like an extra credit project for a junior college psychology major than anything an actual person would think and share. Hitting the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button makes me feel like Dr. Who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any person with a damn brain knows the south is nothing like this stupid college kid definition. My transcription is "I'm a whiny liberal with no real world experience who judges people but then gets mad when others are judged. Oops gotta go wash my KKK robes and get ready to lynch some filthy blacks because they ruin my country, oh nevermind it's cousin fuckin day and I gotta rush to church tomorrow. Fuck off scum

      Delete
    2. Any person with a damn brain knows the south is nothing like this stupid college kid definition. My transcription is "I'm a whiny liberal with no real world experience who judges people but then gets mad when others are judged. Oops gotta go wash my KKK robes and get ready to lynch some filthy blacks because they ruin my country, oh nevermind it's cousin fuckin day and I gotta rush to church tomorrow. Fuck off scum

      Delete
  4. I am a woman, married to a midwesterner. Southern men, from my 58 yr. experience, have a much better time being a man. They are usually way more confident and the more diverse and more progressive city guys are way less Bible thumping and homophobic than the lower class redneck counterpart versions. If I met a guy that was a Jesus freak I ignored it cause it's usually a front. The dumber, ignorant homophobes are in the Midwest too. Rednecks are everywhere. I've lived in 7 states since I was 23 yrs. old and I've learned the very best men I ever met were in the South because they ARE THICK SKINNED. If I spoke against a man's opinion in the South, they would either laugh and ask me why I felt the way I did, shake their head and respectfully disagree, or after listening to me, still disagree but could "see where I was coming from". Here in NW Ohio, if I disagree with one, they either clam up and turn very red to purple or explode. I'll take a thick skinned guy who can take a woman serious or at the least, relax and hold their own without flipping out. The area I grew up in was fairly progressive and most of us laughed and made fun of narrow minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take insult to you writing off Florida as 'just vacation state for New Yorkers'. Seriously, Floridians deserve some recognition, world-famous Gatorade was created here you know. Not to mention all our famous hospitals. Florida is a mix of super-tech and redneck on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article had me rolling!! Whoever wrote this has a sense of humor. The prejudice thing is true to a degree, lot will pick and tease every race out there. Was just bad mouthing my white trash neighbor this morning. Anyways If your being serious then bless your heart for youre truly living in some God awful hick town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article had me rolling!! Whoever wrote this has a sense of humor. The prejudice thing is true to a degree, lot will pick and tease every race out there. Was just bad mouthing my white trash neighbor this morning. Anyways If your being serious then bless your heart for youre truly living in some God awful hick town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha one of the most prejudiced things I've ever read. I love how the hypocrisy is completely lost on the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Idiot, I come from a cattle ranching family in florida, I'm quite well educated,and a southerner. Florida is in the south, it's just overpopulated with ignorant yankees...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Southerner born and raised and your article is one insulting and shows that you know absolutely nothing of which you are talking about. And it also shows that you have not taken time to spend any quality time in the south with an open mind. An open mouth possibly because I doubt very much that you disliked our cooking. Bless Your Little Heart, you certainly prove your IQ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is some bullshit I personally love freeing slaves and pounding New York women.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a non-american reading this, one things is sure: Southerners are proud peoples that don’t being criticized. That’s ok. I don’t like being stereotyped too. No one does. I must admit that I’m fascinated by the people of this region and I wonder what will be own experience there. I don’t why but I always tought the New Orleans people where different from the rest of the southerners, probably because of the acadiens and French ancestry. I feel somehow that they a lost part of my ancestry. (At least 40% of my ancestry is French (Lots of them from the Acadian region of France) )

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just all false. I immigrated from Russia two years ago, since then I’ve moved to southern Kentucky and met a wonderful man. Nothing like this post suggests. Obviously, very biased.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is filled with ignorance. Do your homework, before putting yourself out there. You are obviously narrow minded, and base your “observations” on stereotypes. There is no depth to what you are saying. Just a suggestion; start writing, based on experience, not on what society tells you to think. There are extremists, no matter the region.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The person who wrote the blog must be a social justice warrior/Liberal. Why out of all people is she writing about something she knows nothing about? Everything she just said was incorrect except that we love Jesus more than our mamas. I mean if coming from a Christian(me) that doesn’t seem like a bad thing. But I guess it is coming from an uneducated northerner. She said she has degrees. What degrees? In what?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious. Seems like the southern readers don't have much of a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lololol Are any of these Southern men who are descendants of slave owners Black? This whole piece went on the assumption that they’re all white men

    ReplyDelete